You’re in the right place
From day one, we’ve had one simple thing to say – “We’ll save you”. John Symond meant it back in 1992 when he launched Australia’s first non-bank home lender. And we still mean it today.
It’s what pushed us to do things differently, and why we were the first Australian home lenders to offer:
- Competitive interest rates without fees and charges.
- Obligation-free home visits by professional loan consultants
- Securitised bonds for the public, making our interest rates up to 3% cheaper than the 4 major banks The same interest rates to owner-occupiers and investors.
Things have changed a bit since then
Aussie steadily expanded over the years, with rates that forced the banks to catch up. In 1997, Commonwealth Bank cut their home loan rates by up to 2.6% – and the other banks eventually caught on too.
In the years that followed, we took over Wizard Home Loans, and National Mortgage Brokers. And in 2008, Commonwealth Bank bought a 33% stake in Aussie – which grew to 80% in 2012 and then 100% in 2017.
The Aussie of today
Today, the Aussie Group loan book has reached $70 billion. We have 200 retail stores around Australia, and over 1000 mortgage brokers. And we’ve expanded our offer too – from home loans to business loans, home and contents insurance and more.
But the one thing that hasn’t changed is our commitment to give real people a fair go. It’s how we’re working towards our vision to be the best home loan provider on the planet, and why our mission is all about making people feel safe, smart and special every time they meet us.
This year in figures
FY19 was our biggest year ever. Here’s why:
- We were named The Adviser's Top Brokerage for the seventh year in a row.
- Our Aussie Brokers reached the milestone of helping our 1.3 millionth Australian get a home loan.
- We opened 13 new retail stores, bringing us to 216 shopfronts across metro and regional Australia
- We increased our lender panel to 24 and now offer over 3,000 different home loan products to our customers.