Your Aussie Home and Contents Insurance Questions Answered
How can I purchase a Home and/or Contents Insurance Policy?
There are a number of options available to you when you're ready to buy your Home and Contents Insurance from Aussie.
If you are a new customer you can:
- Buy via your Aussie Broker – Get a quote and then buy securely online, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Online discounts may apply. Please refer to the current offer on our website www.aussie.com.au/insurance
- Buy Online - Get a quote and then buy securely online, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Online discounts may apply. Please refer to the current offer on our website www.aussie.com.au/insurance
- Complete a quote online then call our friendly team on 1300 244 266 at the end of the quote to complete the purchase of your policy. Our team is available Monday to Friday between 8.00am and 8.00pm and Saturday 8.00am to 5.00pm (Sydney Time).
Please note, if you purchase over the phone, the 10% online discount will not apply.
If I buy Home and Contents Insurance online when will I be covered?
Just like purchasing insurance over the phone, your insurance cover will begin on the date you request the cover to start.
Is it safe to purchase Home and Contents Insurance online?
Your online safety is of utmost importance to us. Our VeriSign certificate confirms that our online quote and payment system enables sensitive data to be safely encrypted. Please also make sure that the computer you're using is protected with the latest internet security system.
I am having trouble purchasing online, what should I do?
Please call 1300 005 436 with your Quote Reference Number and we'll give you a hand. We're here to help Monday to Friday 8.00am-8.00pm and Saturday 8.00am-5.00pm (Sydney Time).
Can I pay my insurance in monthly instalments?
If you decide to pay monthly, there's one upfront payment followed by 11 monthly instalments.
- You can also pay fortnightly if you wish.
How do I make a Home and Contents Insurance claim?
Call 1300 244 266 to make a Home or Contents Insurance claim. On the phone, we will guide you through our fast and friendly process, and we'll answer any questions that crop up along the way. Our claims team will do their best to ensure your claims experience is as hassle-free as it can be, in order to avoid any inconvenience to you and your family. We may need to arrange for an assessor to visit you, to inspect the damage, and help you organise repairs or replacement of damaged items.
In case of an emergency, please call our customer service staff on 1800 611 422 for immediate support and advice.
What benefits are important to consider when choosing a Home and Contents insurance?
Benefits which could be important to you include:
- Choice of optional covers
- Flexible excess option - alter your premium by adjusting your excess
- Monthly or fortnightly payment options
- No forms to fill in ever, even if you claim
- 21 day money back guarantee if you cancel your policy and have not made a claim*
Why might I have different Home and Contents Insurance premiums to my friends or neighbours?
Home and Contents Insurance premiums are calculated based on the size of the home and level of 'risk' the insurance underwriters (Auto & General) associate with you and your home and/or contents. So simple factors that differentiate you and someone else contribute to the perception of 'risk'.
Risk may be affected by the location of the home, what materials the home is constructed from, the security devices installed at the home, and how the home is occupied. For example, not all insurers treat each suburb the same. The frequency of claims is also considered carefully.
Auto & General's underwriting allows us to offer competitive rates.
What happens if I don't disclose information about my past claims when I am asked?
This is called non-disclosure and affects an insurer's ability to accurately assess your risk or calculate the correct premium. It can lead to a claim being paid only in part; or not paid at all and/or your policy being cancelled.
Who is the underwriter for Aussie Home and Contents Insurance?
Our Home and Contents Insurance policies are underwritten by Auto & General Insurance Company Limited. They are an Australian Insurer authorised to conduct insurance business in Australia by the Australian Prudential Regulatory Authority (APRA) and are a member of the Insurance Council of Australia and participate in the Insurance Code of Practice.
Who is Auto & General Services Pty Ltd (AGS) and why do they appear in my Aussie Insurance documents?
Aussie has teamed up with AGS to offer you Home and Contents insurance with a range of flexible options and very competitive rates. AGS administers your policy on behalf of your insurer and is a related company of the insurer. AGS holds an Australian Financial Services Licence and participates in the General Insurance Code of Practice.
What are the best ways I can save money on my Home and Contents Insurance?
Aussie believes that you should only have to pay for the cover you decide you need and we give you a number of options that allow you to tailor your policy; choose whether you want to include these optional covers:
- Motor Burnout
- Accidental Damage
- Personal effects cover (only available with Contents insurance)
- Sum Insured Safeguard (only available with Home insurance)
You can also choose the excess amount you pay if you need to make a claim, this will adjust the amount of premium charged for your Home and Contents Insurance.
What is motor burnout?
For an additional premium, the Motor Burnout option provides cover for loss or damage to electric motors during the period of insurance provided:
- The burnout is caused by electric current and/or power surge, and
- The motor is burnt out at the home.
What is Accidental Damage option?
For an additional premium, the Accidental Damage option provides cover for:
- Accidental loss or damage to your home caused by an accident which occurs at the insured address.
- Accidental loss or damage to your contents caused by an accident which occurs in the home at the insured address.
What is Sum Insured Safeguard option?
A: For an additional premium, the Sum Insured Safeguard option will extend your home sum insured up to an additional 25% if your nominated sum insured is not sufficient to replace or repair the damage to your home. Please note that this is available only when you have Home Insurance cover.
What is flood cover?
For an additional premium, the Flood option provides cover for:
- Loss or damage to your home caused by flood which occurs at the insured address.
- Loss or damage to your contents caused by flood which occurs in the home at the insured address.
- Flood is defined as - the covering of normally dry land by water that has escaped or been released from the normal confines of: any lake, or any river, creek or other natural watercourse, whether or not altered or modified; or any reservoir, canal, or dam.
What are my Home and Contents insured against?
Under a standard Home and/or Contents Insured policy we cover you for:
- Theft and attempted theft
- Malicious damage, vandalism, riot or civil commotion
- Accidental breakage of glass, ceramic and sanitary fixtures
- Storm and rainwater
- Sudden and unexpected escape of liquid
- Impact at the home
How do I cancel my policy?
To cancel your policy please call 1800 031 609 and we can arrange the cancellation of your policy.
How do I renew my policy?
You will receive a policy schedule and renewal letter in the mail annually. Your policy will automatically renew, unless you contact 1800 031 609 to either cancel or make changes to the policy. You can also contact us to change the automatic renewal option if you would rather manually renew each year.